- John Boyega left Netflix’s “Rebel Ridge” for family reasons
- Netflix has halted the project’s production for the time being
- The streaming service is still working with Boyega’s UpperRoom Productions
John Boyega has quit his role on Netflix’s upcoming American thriller film “Rebel Ridge,” a report says. This may interest you : Twitter On Tom Brady Throwing Lombardi Trophy Across The Water During Parade: ‘Total Disrespect’.
The “Rebel Ridge” production has halted after Boyega decided to leave the project. At present, the streaming service is working hard to find a replacement for the “Star Wars” actor. It is very likely that someone will be drafted to play Boyega’s character in the next few days.
Boyega’s decision to depart from the film happened mid-shoot. He and the rest of the cast started filming on May 3. However, he has a valid reason for his exit because Netflix is still willing to work with him.
“‘Rebel Ridge’ is pausing temporarily as we look to re-cast John Boyega who needed to leave the project for family reasons,” Netflix’s spokesperson told Deadline.
“We remain committed to Jeremy Saulnier’s extraordinary film and look forward to resuming production. We look forward to continuing our partnership with John Boyega’s UpperRoom Productions, in addition to our upcoming film ‘They Cloned Tyrone’ in which he also stars.”
The outlet noted that it was an unusual turn for actors to exit projects mid-shoot, so Boyega’s reason could be something serious.
The Jeremy Saulnier-directed project will explore systemic American justice in the context of action, suspense and black humor. It was originally slated to begin production in April 2020 but was pushed back to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film also stars AnnaSophia Robb, Emory Cohen, Don Johnson, James Cromwell, James Badge Dale, Zsane Jhe and Al Vicente.
Anish Savjani, Neil Kopp, Vincent Savino and Saulnier are producing the film with Macon Blair and Louise Lovegrove serving as executive producers. Saulnier is popular for his movies “Blue Ruin” and “Green Room.”
Boyega is also set to star in Netflix’s “They Cloned Tyrone” that also features Jamie Foxx and Teyonah Parris. The film is currently in post-production.
Last week, Boyega announced that there will be “Attack the Block 2.” Aside from starring in the film, he will also be producing it.
“Yes Attack the Block 2 is happening! Yes I’ll be starring and producing! Yes I’m bloody excited ! London VS them tings,” he wrote on Instagram.
“Attack the Block 2” will be a sequel to the 2011 British science-fiction comedy horror “Attack the Block.” The plot of the upcoming film remains under wraps.
“It’s been a decade since Attack the Block was released and so much has changed since then,” Boyega said. “I’m excited to see this heightened story return to the streets of London. Moses has remained one of my favourite characters to play and bringing him back is a huge honour.”